Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fire Roasted Tomato Basil Soup


Last night I came home from 4 hours of shopping for shoes to wear on the elephant foot that will please both the doctor and me.  I reached a successful compromise (I just can't wear athletic shoes all day every day.  They are too hot and I can't stand hot feet), but I was completely wiped out by the time I got home at dinner time with nothing planned.   Thank goodness for the freezer. 

 I went through the freezer meal phase quite a few years ago and decided that most foods just don't taste as good after they have been frozen.  There are however, a few exceptions and this soup is one of them.  It hit the spot after that hard day like you cannot believe.  I usually always serve it with cheese buns/bread.  

P.S. I have been through a lot of tomato soup recipes and this is THE ONE!  It tastes like the Fire Roasted Tomato Soup at Paradise Bakery only better because I add the fresh basil.  I could sniff fresh basil for hours.  It is kind of like a drug for me.

P.P.S.  This is the meal I serve for dinner the day before Thanksgiving

Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

Servings:16

Ingredients
2 medium onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
28 oz can whole tomatoes
14 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes (Glen Muir used to be the only brand, but now I see them in most brands)
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can tomato paste
4 cups water or chicken broth
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups milk or half and half or whatever
1 generous bunch/handful fresh basil, chopped (optional) or 1-2 teaspoons dry

Preparation
In a dutch oven saute onion in olive oil until almost translucent. Add garlic and continue to saute a few minutes more(this is also the place to add dry basil if using.) Add tomatoes, sauce and paste as well as water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes  (Add fresh basil in the last 5-10 minutes or whenever it suits your fancy ). Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency. ( You can use the blender, but I think that is just asking for a big mess to clean up.  If you do it that way, do several small batches and be very careful.  I like mine smooth, but if you like chunky that is okay too.) Add milk and seasonings and continue to simmer for another 5 or 10 minutes. 

Note:  This soup makes a BIG batch and is not easily halved unless you are willing to throw away half a can of almost everything.  However, it freezes beautifully.

Serve with:  Cheese Buns/Bread which is just any bread or buns you have around with cheddar cheese on top and put under the broiler until the cheese melts.  I usually make my hamburger buns in 30 (ok, really 45) minutes for this. but anything will do.  (hamburger bun recipe to follow tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment