Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Eye Of The Pirate

The Eye of the Pirate

We call this breakfast item a Pirate's Eye. I know it goes by a lot of different names, but this is what Kurt's mom called it and since I had never seen such a thing before the movie "Moonstruck" we stayed with Pirate's Eye. I use lots of different cookie cutters to make the hole in the bread, but this flower shape is my favorite! *** Very Important! While making these we sing The Eye of the Pirate (you know that song from the movie Rocky, They call it Eye of the Tiger, but Eye of the Pirate is more fun.)

Wende threw down a tag requesting what people eat for breakfast and what that says about them. Here is my list :

Eggs
  • Pirate's Eye (see photo above)
  • Hard Boiled with toast or muffins or yogurt
  • Scrambled with toast or muffins
  • Egg Muffin Sandwich (poached in an English muffin with Canadian bacon and cheese.)
  • Breakfast Burrito
  • Brunch Eggs (on Christmas morning or other special times, not everyday)

Pancakes

  • with syrup
  • with Blueberry Sauce (see recipe on this blog)
  • with butter and Cinnamon sugar
  • German Pancakes
  • Danish Hotcakes (like a crepe but filled with a sprinkling of sugar)

Waffles

  • with syrup
  • with butter and cinnamon sugar
  • for the Men in the family polluted with chocolate chips and spread with peanut butter then drowned in syrup. (I am a purist, I stick with the first two options)

Muffins (from scratch, no mixes please) & other good things

  • Blueberry
  • Banana
  • French Breakfast Muffins
  • Cinnamon Rolls
  • Orange Rolls

Yogurt & Fruit parfait (with or without granola)

Cereal

  • Oatmeal (I roll my own)
  • Cream of Wheat
  • Cold cereal (usually not more than once a week, and only if we are really rushed)

Hot Chocolate & Toast

Fruit (with everything)

  • Baked Grapefruit
  • regular grapefruit
  • grape juice (home canned)
  • smoothies of all kinds
  • bananas
  • oranges
  • berries or other fruit with yogurt (see Yogurt & Fruit Parfait)
  • Orange Julius

Pig (usually only on the weekends)

  • bacon
  • sausage
  • Canadian bacon (on Egg Muffin Sandwiches any day of the week)
  • ham (rarely)

We really do eat all of these things 7 days a week. As to what this says about me, well it says that I have no tolerance for boredom. I need variety in my life. I grew up on cold cereal 90% of the time and now I hate the stuff.

When I was a new mother I was with a group of more mature mothers and I heard one talk about how her kids think cold cereal is a treat because she makes a cooked breakfast every day and how it really does not take that much time. I started making cooked breakfast the next morning and have never looked back.

I also find that on the rare mornings that we have cold cereal, I am famished by 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. I can usually get a snack this time of day, but I know my kids can't get anything at school (okay, the teenagers can get a candybar), so I like to send them out the door tanked up for the morning. My teenagers are also much nicer to be around if they have had a real meal for breakfast.

In addition to the above, I really like breakfast food and it is the fastest and easiest meal to make.

1 comment:

  1. at my house this is called egg in a nest because that's what my grandma called it. i have never thought of using a cookie cutter - that is awesome!

    i actually really love breakfast type foods but eat them a lot for dinner, my family loves "breakfast" dinner.

    but, i don't cook in the mornings as much as i should. so you win, you're a better mother. :)

    ReplyDelete