Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

One of our Favorite Saturday Morning Breakfasts especially good served with sausage.

blueberry 1

The blueberry sauce is a much healthier alternative to maple syrup, since it actually has less sugar and you get a serving of fruit, plus it is to die for delicious.

blueberry 2

The ingredients: Blueberries (fresh or frozen, I freeze my own when they are in season) Sugar & Cinnamon

blueberry 3

This recipe makes enough to feed 2 people, therefore I triple it to feel 5 (the boys don't like fruit very much) It works best to put the blueberries in the pan over medium heat until they are mostly thawed before adding the sugar and cinnamon. If you put in the sugar while the berries are still frozen you can get funny hard chunks of crystallized sugar.


blueberry 4

Add the sugar and cinnamon

blueberry 5

Stir (Morgan is stirring for me today)

blueberry 6

It is done when it starts to bubble.

Blueberry Sauce
1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, thawed
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Combine in saucepan and heat through

When we got home from India, I asked the kids how Grammy did feeding them. They said it was good over all, but horror of horrors they ate pancakes and waffles made from a mix!!! Shocking isn't it.
In all fairness my mom tried really hard to feed the kids in the manner that they have become accustomed, but she does not enjoy cooking. I had told the kids to be prepared to eat cereal most mornings because that is what I had for breakfast most days as a kid. I think they were really lucky that they got things like pancakes and waffles,. When we got to Bear Lake we use a mix too, so it was not really new to them. However, it is just as easy to make pancakes from scratch as it is to make them from a mix. Here is how we make our pancakes........

pancakes 1

Ingredients: Fresh-Ground Whole Wheat Flour (regular all-purpose flour works great too, but I really don't like the store-bought whole wheat flour), Baking Powder, Salt, Eggs, Milk, Vegetable Oil (we use olive oil or canola.)

pancakes 2

This is my wheat grinder at work. (I don't recommend this brand, I used to have one I liked much better until it died. Now I wish this one would die so I could get another one like I had before.)

pancakes 3

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

pancakes 4

Add the wet ingredients.

pancakes 5

Stir until combined. It begins to bubble immediately (that is the baking powder, did you know that double acting baking powder means that it bubbles once when combined with liquid and then a second time when heated.)

pancakes 6

Preheat a large frying pan or griddle to medium high heat (you can test by sprinkling a few drops of water on the surface, if the jump and sizzle it is hot enough.) I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ladle the batter into the pan. Flip the pancakes when bubbles have formed on the surface and the edges start to look a bit dry (not too dry, just beginning to dry.)

pancakes 7

Cook about another minute, peek to see that the underside is browned. Then serve.

pancakes 8

My girlies LOVE this breakfast. I have to remind them to save a little sauce for the cook or I won't get any. Like the Blueberry Sauce, our pancake recipe is easily adjusted to feed any size family.

I got this recipe from my friend Tanya (who I have not talked to in way too long)

Pancakes & Waffles by Proportion
3 cups whole wheat flour (fresh) white works fine too
6 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 - 3 cups milk -- (to 3)
3 whole eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil (We use 1/3 cup for waffles to prevent sticking)
1 teaspoon salt
this recipe is somewhat proportional.
for each cup flour use:
2 teaspoons baking powder
approximately 1 cup milk (usually a little bit less)
about 1 tablespoon oil (more or less)
1/4 teaspoon salt (never more than 1 teaspoon even if larger batch)

No comments:

Post a Comment